(818) 552-4503

Trillanes to ease up on VP Binay in Senate probe for now

Sen. Antonio Trillanes with members of Magdalo party, shows his certificate of candidacy (CoC) for vice president, at the Palacio del Gobernador in Manila, Tuesday. Trillanes will be running as an independent candidate, but expressed support for Sen. Grace Poe’s presidential bid in the 2016 elections. (MNS photo)

Sen. Antonio Trillanes with members of Magdalo party, shows his certificate of candidacy (CoC) for vice president, at the Palacio del Gobernador in Manila, Tuesday. Trillanes will be running as an independent candidate, but expressed support for Sen. Grace Poe’s presidential bid in the 2016 elections. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV will no longer take on an active role in probing the corruption allegations against Vice President Jejomar Binay should the Senate blue ribbon subcommittee resume its investigation into the matter in the coming months.

Trillanes said he plans to stay at the sidelines of the Senate inquiry now that he has filed his certificate of candidacy for vice president in the 2016 elections.

“Kung magkakaroon man ng hearing ulit in the future, I won’t actively participate anymore kasi kandidato na ako,” he said.

Trillanes, who has declared support for Sen. Grace Poe’s presidential bid, said he will be busy promoting himself to voters in the coming months.

And in the event Binay wins the presidential race, Trillanes said he will respect the Chief Executive but will remain vigilant.

“Kung ganoon talaga ang kapalaran, rerespetuhin natin ang mandatong ibibigay sa kanya, pero magbabantay pa rin tayo. Kung may kailangang ibunyag, ibibunyag pa rin natin,” he said.

The senator had been at the forefront of the Senate investigation on the corruption allegations against Binay, along with Senators Alan Peter Cayetano and Aquilino Pimentel IV.

Incidentally, Cayetano has also declared his intention to seek the vice presidency but has yet to file his COC.

The Blue Ribbon subcommittee started its probe on the alleged overpricing of the P2.7 billion Makati City Hall Building II. It has since tackled other corruption issues involving Binay and members of his family after more than a year of hearings.

Though Trillanes is a member of the Nacionalista Party, he said he will be running as an independent because two of his fellow party stalwarts, Cayetano and Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., also decided to seek the vice presidency. Marcos filed his COC on Tuesday.

Trillanes expressed confidence he will be able to mount a nationwide campaign with the help of the Magdalo group, to which he belongs.

“Sa palagay natin, since 2007 mas lumaki na ang grupo… so palagay ko mas kaya na naming mag-conduct ng campaign this time around,” Trillanes said.

The senator said the Magdalo group has 600 chapters nationwide, and over 500,000 official members who could actively campaign for him even at the grassroots level.(MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts