MANILA (Mabuhay) – The Philippine National Police has formed a team to investigate the shooting incident involving Cavite Vice Governor Jolo Revilla to determine whether there was foul play involved.
“Kahapon ng gabi ay bumuo na tayo ng composite team to investigate the incident para malaman natin kung purely accidental ba ito or there was a foul-play involved,” National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Chief Supt. Carmelo Valmoria said.
Valmoria said the team will be headed by Southern Police District (SPD) director Chief Supt. Henry Rañola.
Valmoria said Rañola and the members of the team were already instructed to coordinate with the Revilla family regarding the investigation.
Valmoria said he also gave other specific instructions to the team regarding the things to look into in the conduct of investigation but refused to elaborate.
“Basta nabigyan na natin sila ng specific tasks. May mga bagay silang dapat alamin, pero huwag na muna natin pag-usapan sa ngayon because it might affect the investigation,” Valmoria said.
On Saturday afternoon, Revilla was rushed to the Asian Hospital in Muntinlupa City after he sustained a gunshot wound on his chest.
The Revilla family earlier said Jolo sustained the gunshot wound after he accidentally pulled the trigger of his gun while cleaning it inside their family home in Ayala Alabang in Muntinlupa City.
Valmoria, however, said that despite the statement of the Revilla family, an investigation on the incident is still necessary.
“It’s part of the standard operating procedure of the PNP to investigate any medico-legal incident. Basta may taong nalagay sa kapahamakan ang buhay whether due to a self-inflicted act or due to an act of another individual, ay iniimbestigahan natin yan, irregardless kung ordinaryong tao o makapangyarihang tao ang involved,” Valmoria said.
Valmoria said he also tasked the group to coordinate with the Asian Hospital to get the necessary medical reports that would be vital in the investigation.
He, however, refused to confirm if the gun involved in the incident is already under the possession of the team for examination.
“Let’s just wait for the result of the investigation,” Valmoria said.
He said there is no deadline given to the team for the conduct of the investigation.
Earlier in the day, Jolo’s father, detained Sen. Ramon Bong Revilla Jr., asked the Sandiganbayan to allow him to visit his son in the hospital.
The elder Revilla is currently detained at the PNP Custodial Center over graft and plunder charges in connection with the P10-B alleged pork barrel scam.
Also on Monday, the spokesperson of the Revilla family said Jolo is now in stable condition and could be transferred to a regular room within the day.
“Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla’s condition is stable. However, he had fever this 5 a.m. which [is an] indicative of some infection in his body,” lawyer Raymond Fortun said.
“The family is still hoping to transfer him to a regular room this afternoon. Doctor is monitoring output of blood, which looks like it’s decreasing,” Fortun added. (MNS)