MANILA, Nov 23 (Mabuhay) — Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. declined to comment on the irrevocable resignation tendered by Transportation Undersecretary for Rails Cesar Chavez Thursday morning, saying he has yet to receive official word on the matter.
“Hindi ko pa naririnig yun. Antayin muna natin yan, dahil ngayon, balita pa lang na galing sa media… Dapat kasama siya dito pero ang daumating dito ay isang direktor,” Roque told reporters covering his scheduled ride from Quezon City to Manila via the Metro Rail Transit Line 3 (MRT3) and Light Rail Transit (LRT) systems.
Chavez was supposed to join Roque during his trip, which had been announced to the media Wednesday.
An hour before the schedule, however, Chavez held a press conference announcing his resignation from the Department of Transportation (DOTr) amid problems hounding the MRT system.
In his resignation letter to President Rodrigo Duterte dated November 23, Chavez said that he was quitting his post to give an “opportunity for the appointment of person better qualified to perform the duties and responsibilities of the subject office.”
“I hope the President understands that in the light of recent events involving the MRT3 System, simple sense of delicadeza which I have adhered to throughout my professional life gives me no choice but to resign from m y said position,” he said. (MNS)