Palace: Hero’s burial for Marcos to proceed unless there’s a TRO

Members of Catholic and Protestant church groups stage a candle-lighting protest as part of the “Anti-Marcos in Malacañang Campaign,” in Plaza Miranda on Tuesday. The groups recalled the accounts of torture, detention, disappearances and killings during Martial Law.(MNS photo)

Members of Catholic and Protestant church groups stage a candle-lighting protest as part of the “Anti-Marcos in Malacañang Campaign,” in Plaza Miranda on Tuesday. The groups recalled the accounts of torture, detention, disappearances and killings during Martial Law.(MNS photo)

MANILA  (Mabuhay) – Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella on Wednesday said the hero’s burial for the late strongman President Ferdinand Marcos will push through unless the Supreme Court will issue a temporary restraining order (TRO).

“Like I said, it seems that everything is starting to move according to arrangements so unless somebody, unless there is a TRO or anything like that, it will proceed as planned,” Abella said at a press briefing in Malacañang.

The Marcos family reportedly wants the Libingan ng mga Bayani interment to be held on September 18 or just 10 days before his death anniversary.

But Abella said no official date has been set yet.

“The process is ongoing. Nobody is rushing anything. It’s just people need to respond as appropriate as possible,” he added.

The Supreme Court (SC) has scheduled oral arguments on August 24 on the petitions filed by Martial Law victims and their families earlier this week.

Nonetheless, Abella reiterated that Duterte will abide by whatever ruling of the SC on the matter.

Over the weekend, about a thousand gathered at Rizal Park in Manila to protest the impending burial of Marcos at the Libingan.

Duterte had said that he will allow protests against the hero’s burial for Marcos to proceed and will assign a minimum number of cops mainly to address the flow of traffic at protest sites. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts