(818) 552-4503

Number of fireworks injuries now at 72, 40% lower than in 2016

SAFE NEW YEAR. No need to show off one’s skill in throwing and blasting firecrackers only to get burned or even dismembered. This girl shows the safer way to usher the New Year, as her mother sells horns of varied colors, shapes, and sizes at Riverside market in Las Piñas City. (MNS photo)

MANILA, Dec 29 (Mabuhay) — Eleven additional fireworks-related injuries (FWRI) were reported by sentinel sites of the Department of Health (DOH) on Friday morning, bringing the total number to 72 three days before the New Year.

Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction 2017 Report Number 8 indicated that this is 104 cases or 59 percent lower than the five-year (2012-2016) average and 48 cases (40 percent) lower than in the same period last year.

Majority of the cases (69 out of 72 or 96 percent) were males aged 11 months old to 62 with a median of 11 years old, the report said, adding 55 or 76 percent were active users.

Fifty-nine or 82 percent of the victims suffered blast injuries without amputation, 11 or 15 percent had eye injuries, and four or 6 percent had blast injuries with amputation; 49 or 68 percent of injuries involved the hand.

The report said illegal fireworks caused 52 or 72 percent of all FWRI, with Piccolo causing most of the injuries (44 or 61 percent).

No fireworks ingestion or stray bullet injuries were reported by the 46 or 92 percent of sentinel hospitals that submitted injury reports on time.

Most of the cases (38 or 55 percent) occurred in the National Capital Region, with Metro Manila leading with 21 FWRI.

Most of the reported cases were rushed to the Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center (15 percent), followed by Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital (8 percent), and Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital (7 percent). (MNS)

About the Author