MANILA, Mar 3 (Mabuhay) – The Department of Foreign Affairs said it has not been notified of any Filipino casualty in the 7.8-magnitude quake that struck Indonesia’s western coast Wednesday evening.
“So far we have not received any report of Filipinos affected by the earthquake in Indonesia,” Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said on Thursday.
No deaths and damage to structures were reported in the quake that sparked panic after a tsunami warning was issued. Indonesian authorities appealed for calm as no tsunami occurred.
The DFA has no available figures of Filipinos residing in the Sumatra region, particularly in Padang, where the quake occurred.
In 2004, an 8.9-magnitude earthquake set off the deadliest tsunami in recent history, killing more than 200,000 people.
Situated in the Pacific and in the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, Indonesia, like the Philippines, is susceptible to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. (MNS)