MANILA (Mabuhay) – After the transfer of the remains of late strongman Ferdinand Marcos into a coffin, the mausoleum in Batac, Ilocos Norte that used to house his body for years has been closed to the public.
Citing the mausoleum’s caretaker, people coming to view the remains of the late president were told that the place has been temporarily closed.
One of the mausoleum’s cleaners confirmed that Marcos’ remains have been transferred into a coffin. There has been no word from the Marcos family yet on the matter.
Reports indicate that the burial of Marcos’ remains at the heroes’ cemetery “Libingan ng Mga Bayani” will take place in September amid protests from Martial Law victims.
Meanwhile, a group of Martial Law victims and their families is asking President Rodrigo Duterte to reconsider his go signal on the burial of the late dictator at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNBM) in Taguig City.
Last week, Duterte reiterated his reasons for allowing the late strongman’s remains to be buried at LNBM.
An earlier news report said the family decided to bury Marcos on September 18.
Since his death in 1989, Marcos’ remains had been lying in the mausoleum in his hometown of Batac. (MNS)