DOH tells Metro Manilans to brace themselves for dengue

A student reacts before a nurse administers the anti-dengue vaccine at Parang Elementary School in Marikina.© AFP PHOTO/NOEL CELIS

A student reacts before a nurse administers the anti-dengue vaccine at Parang Elementary School in Marikina.© AFP PHOTO/NOEL CELIS

MANILA, Aug. 10 (PNA) — The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday urged Metro Manila to begin boosting its efforts to combat dengue fever.

In a press briefing held at the DOH media relations unit in Tayuman, Sta. Cruz, Manila, DOH spokesperson Dr. Eric Tayag said that Metro Manila has made it to the list of dengue hotspots.

 “Metro Manila should brace for more cases,” Tayag said, noting that it became a hotspot after some barangays in Malabon and Quezon City reported a spike in dengue cases.

Declared as hotspots were Barangay Longos in Malabon City, as well as Barangays Novaliches Proper, Fairview and Payatas in Quezon City.

From Jan. 1 to July 23, the DOH has already recorded 70,697 cases all over the country.

 “This is 19 percent higher compared to 59,342 reported in the same period last year. Pero pag tiningnan natin yung trends by week (But if we look at the weekly trend), it’s still under the alert threshold, based on our three-year average, but compared to last year, tumaas na siya ng (the figure has risen by) 19 percent,” Tayag said.

Based on the list, he also disclosed that Regions VII, VIII and XII have almost doubled their number of dengue cases.

About the Author

Related Posts