DOH records 191 firecracker-related injuries

A child reacts as he gets treatment at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila during the early hours of Jan. 1, 2018. Victims of stray bullets, stabbing, and illegal firecrackers were among the patients brought to the hospital during New Year’s celebrations. (MNS photo)

MANILA, Jan 1 (Mabuhay) — A total of 191 firecracker-related injuries and one stray bullet case were recorded by the Department of Health and the Philippine National Police since December 21, officials reported Monday.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III announced in a press conference at the East Avenue Medical Center said the 191 firecracker-related injuries were recorded from Dec. 21, 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018.

Duque said there were no reported deaths, only seven cases of amputations and no reported fireworks ingestion.

“We are relatively pleased, relative because there are still injuries, but pleased because the substantial reduction or decrease in fireworks related injuries,” he said.

“It’s the [biggest] reduction recorded so far,” he added, saying that the total cases recorded during the 12-day period was 68 percent lower compared to the same period in the previous year.

Superintendent Johnny Capalos of the Philippine National Police, meanwhile, said during the press conference that it recorded only one stray bullet case in Caloocan City.

Metro Manila had the most number of fireworks-related injuries, which amounted to 115 cases or 60 percent of the total number, followed by Western Visayas with 15 cases and Central Luzon, Calabarzon and Bicol with 13 cases each.

Among the districts in Metro Manila, the city of Manila had the most number of cases at 63 followed by Quezon City with 14, Pasig City with 11 and Valenzuela with 6 cases.

Duque said piccolo was still the top culprit in firecracker-related injrueis with 94 cases followed by kwitis with 14 cases.

He said the youngest victim of firecrackers during the 12-day period was an 11-month-old baby and the oldest was 96 years old.

Majority of the cases were hand injuries at 15.

Duque said President Rodrigo Duterte’s signing of Executive Order No. 28, which regulates the use of fireworks and firecrackers, “truly reinforced” efforts of the DOH and other agencies in reducing the number of injuries during the holiday season.(MNS)

About the Author