DOH awaits WHO report before deciding on unused Dengvaxia

Senator Dick Gordon talks to former Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Janette Loreto-Garin before the Senate hearing on the alleged P3.5 Billion worth of questionable dengue vaccines that had been administered by DOH to 280,000 students without passing through WHO prequalification requirements. Also present during the hearing are former DOH Secretary Paulyn Jean Rosell-Ubial and current DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III. (MNS photo)

MANILA, Dec 9 (Mabuhay) — Secretary Francisco Duque III on Saturday said that the Department of Health is awaiting the report of the World Health Organization on the controversial Dengvaxia vaccine before deciding on what to do with the unused stock.

Duque said that the WHO report, expected to be made public by Monday or Tuesday, would include some recommendations that could guide the DOH in making decisions.

Earlier, Duque said that the DOH is considering asking Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of Dengvaxia, to refund the P3.5 billion the government paid for the vaccine used in its vaccination program.

“Magandang hintayin muna natin ang report ng WHO na maaaring makatutulong sa ating pagpapasya,” he said.

Meanwhile, he said that the task force that he created to address the dengue vaccination concerns will be composed of top-level DOH officials to ensure a high degree of accountability.

On the other hand, Duque expects that Secretary Leonor Briones of the Department of Education will also create a task force as the dengue vaccination program was done in coordination with the DepEd.

Other concerned government agencies, especially the PhilHealth, will help in the hospitalization needs of those who might show symptoms of dengue infections after being vaccinated.

Duque also said that the DOH may need inputs from the results of the Senate hearing on the Dengvaxia snafu.

 

About the Author