Dismissed PMA cadet fails to get SC relief

President Benigno S. Aquino III graces the 109th Commencement Exercises of Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Siklab Diwa Class of 2014 at the Fajardo Grandstand, Borromeo Field, Fort General Gregorio del Pilar in Baguio City on Sunday(March 16). The PMA boast of a long and illustrious history of preparing only the best Filipino men and women for military service. (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III graces the 109th Commencement Exercises of Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Siklab Diwa Class of 2014 at the Fajardo Grandstand, Borromeo Field, Fort General Gregorio del Pilar in Baguio City on Sunday(March 16). The PMA boast of a long and illustrious history of preparing only the best Filipino men and women for military service. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) — The Supreme Court on Tuesday affirmed the dismissal of Cadet Jeff Aldrin Cudia from the Philippine Military Academy (PMA).

Cudia’s petition seeking a reversal of the dismissal was filed by Cudia and his father Renato on March 15, 2014. Cudia’s mother, Filipina, on March 25, 2014 moved to intervene in the case.

The family has since formally asked the high tribunal—through separate motions for resolution—to finally decide on the matter.

In February 2014, the PMA Honor Committee found Cudia guilty of lying about his reason for being late for a class, a violation that led to his dismissal from the academy.

The PMA, the PMA Honor Committee of 2014 and the PMA Cadet Review and Appeals Board, through the Office of the Solicitor General, filed their consolidated comment last June 17, 2014. The comment was countered by Filipina in a reply on July 14 and later adopted by Renato Cudia.

Cudia filed his first motion on July 21, 2014. With no response from the high court, Cudia, on September 30, 2014, filed a second motion.

In his latest motion filed last December, Cudia and his family said the immediate resolution of the petition would be beneficial not only to them but to the country as well.

“He cannot possibly seek further education or engage in a promising career—all because of the tight grasp the Philippine Military Academy has put him in,” the Public Attorney’s Office, which is legally assisting Cudia, said at the time.

Cudia did not march with the Siklab Diwa batch during the PMA’s graduation rites in Baguio City last year since his appeal was still pending before the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the PMA at the time.

Cudia’s classmates began ostracized him after he opted to stay in the PMA even after the Honor Committee recommended his dismissal.

His family, however, has claimed there were irregularities on how the committee voted on his case, and asked President Benigno Aquino III to overturn the decision.

Cudia’s family insisted that the PMA Honor Committee should have acquitted the cadet because one of its members had originally voted in his favor. Under PMA rules, an accused can be acquitted with just one “not guilty” vote. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts