MANILA, Aug 10 (Mabuhay) — A total of 70,697 dengue cases were reported during the first seven months of the year, an increase of 19 percent from the number of cases recorded in the same period in 2015, the Department of Health (DOH) said.
DOH spokesperson Eric Tayag said the figure, reported from January 1 to July 23, rose from the 59,342 cases reported during the same period last year.
“But if you look at the trends by week, it’s still under the alert threshold based on our three-year average. But compared to last year, it already increased by 19 percent,” Tayag said in a press briefing.
The DOH has also identified 47 barangays (villages) nationwide that are considered dengue hot spots. In Metro Manila, considered dengue hot spots are Barangay Longos in Malabon City, and Fairview, Novaliches Proper and Payatas in Quezon City.
DOH urged hospitals in barangays considered as dengue hotspots to reactivate their express lanes to hasten admission of suspected and confirmed cases.
Regions 7, 8 and 11 have more than doubled their numbers of cases, he added.
The National Capital Region was included in the list of regions with increasing number of dengue cases in the past four weeks. Other regions in the list are Regions 1 (Ilocos region), 3 (Central Luzon), 4A (Southern Luzon), 6 (Western Visayas), 7 (Central Visayas), 10 (Northern Mindanao), 11 (Davao), 12 (Socsargen), and Cordillera Administrative Region. “Metro Manila should brace for more cases,” Tayag said.
Dengue fever is a potentially fatal viral disease in tropical countries. It is transmitted by mosquitoes, and its symptoms include sudden fever and painful joints and muscles. (MNS)