MANILA (Mabuhay) – Senator Leila de Lima on Thursday said she has been receiving numerous obscene and threatening text messages, and suspected these came from “Duterte fanatics.”
In a press conference, De Lima said she could no longer use one of her personal numbers, which was disclosed during a House inquiry on her alleged links on the illegal drug operations inside the New Bilbid Prison.
“Hindi ko na magamit ang number na ito. Wala nang pumapasok na legitimate texts. Puro na lang pambabastos, pananakot, puro calls, non-stop,” De Lima said.
“By the nature of the texts, by the nature of the messages, these could only come from trollers and Duterte fanatics,” the senator said referring to supporters of President Rodrigo Duterte.
On Tuesday night, De Lima said she had already received almost 2,000 text messages from unknown numbers.
During a House inquiry on illegal drug operations inside the New Bilibid Prison, convict Herbert Colanggo was asked what cellphone number he called when he allegedly discussed in January 2014 with De Lima the payoffs supposedly coursed through the then secretary’s aide.
Colanggo gave the number and it was confirmed as De Lima’s following verification by some members of the House.
The House probe was aired not only on national television but was also streamed by many news websites. (MNS)