Church to help residents affected by military offensive vs. BIFF

Representatives from different Muslim groups gesture a thumbs-down sign as they launch their “Anti-Bugok (rotten) Coalition” urging the public not to vote for pro-war politicians, at a press conference in Manila, Monday. The groups criticized several politicians calling for all-out war against Moro rebels in Mindanao in response to the bloody Mamasapano encounter.(MNS photo)

Representatives from different Muslim groups gesture a thumbs-down sign as they launch their “Anti-Bugok (rotten) Coalition” urging the public not to vote for pro-war politicians, at a press conference in Manila, Monday. The groups criticized several politicians calling for all-out war against Moro rebels in Mindanao in response to the bloody Mamasapano encounter. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Catholic Church officials in Mindanao are prepared to help residents evacuate from areas affected by the military’s offensive against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters.

But Cotabato Auxiliary Bishop Jose Collin Bagaforo said the Church is also continuing its prayers that civilians would not be caught in the crossfire.

“Yung mga malapit sa identified conflict areas, merong mga evacuation na nangyayari. Pangalawa, yung mga nagbibiyahe at dadaanan sa identified conflict areas ay pinapayuhan na iwasan ang pagbiyahe ng madaling araw o late in the afternoon lalo na sa gabi,” he said in an interview on Church-run Radio Veritas Saturday.

He said the Cotabato archdiocese is preparing some areas as possible evacuation centers for residents affected by the fighting.

Bagaforo noted some roads in Maguindanao and in Cotabato heading for Tacurong had been closed to traffic.

On the other hand, he hoped the Moro Islamic Liberation Front will help minimize what he called “civilian collateral damage.”

“Ang mga civilian collateral damage, yun ang dasal natin na sana matulungan tayo ng Moro Islamic Liberation Front para napakiusapan o di kaya ma-lessen ang damages ng gagawing opensiba ng militar vs BIFF,” he said.

On Wednesday, Armed Forces chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang ordered an all-out offensive against the BIFF.

Catapang issued his order amid fighting between the MILF and BIFF, which broke out in Pagalungan town in Maguindanao about two weeks ago due to rido or clan war, displacing about 10,000 residents in the town and in nearby Pikit town in Cotabato.

It also came a month after the bloody clash between elite PNP-Special Action Force commandos and MILF and BIFF combatants in Mamasapano in Maguindanao. Over 60 people died in the clash, including 44 police officers and 18 MILF fighters.

In response to Catapang’s order, the BIFF even taunted government troops into stopping all talk and instead, start the war against the outlawed group. (MNS)

Representatives from different Muslim groups gesture a thumbs-down sign as they launch their “Anti-Bugok (rotten) Coalition” urging the public not to vote for pro-war politicians, at a press conference in Manila, Monday. The groups criticized several politicians calling for all-out war against Moro rebels in Mindanao in response to the bloody Mamasapano encounter.(MNS photo)

Representatives from different Muslim groups gesture a thumbs-down sign as they launch their “Anti-Bugok (rotten) Coalition” urging the public not to vote for pro-war politicians, at a press conference in Manila, Monday. The groups criticized several politicians calling for all-out war against Moro rebels in Mindanao in response to the bloody Mamasapano encounter. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Catholic Church officials in Mindanao are prepared to help residents evacuate from areas affected by the military’s offensive against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters.

But Cotabato Auxiliary Bishop Jose Collin Bagaforo said the Church is also continuing its prayers that civilians would not be caught in the crossfire.

“Yung mga malapit sa identified conflict areas, merong mga evacuation na nangyayari. Pangalawa, yung mga nagbibiyahe at dadaanan sa identified conflict areas ay pinapayuhan na iwasan ang pagbiyahe ng madaling araw o late in the afternoon lalo na sa gabi,” he said in an interview on Church-run Radio Veritas Saturday.

He said the Cotabato archdiocese is preparing some areas as possible evacuation centers for residents affected by the fighting.

Bagaforo noted some roads in Maguindanao and in Cotabato heading for Tacurong had been closed to traffic.

On the other hand, he hoped the Moro Islamic Liberation Front will help minimize what he called “civilian collateral damage.”

“Ang mga civilian collateral damage, yun ang dasal natin na sana matulungan tayo ng Moro Islamic Liberation Front para napakiusapan o di kaya ma-lessen ang damages ng gagawing opensiba ng militar vs BIFF,” he said.

On Wednesday, Armed Forces chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang ordered an all-out offensive against the BIFF.

Catapang issued his order amid fighting between the MILF and BIFF, which broke out in Pagalungan town in Maguindanao about two weeks ago due to rido or clan war, displacing about 10,000 residents in the town and in nearby Pikit town in Cotabato.

It also came a month after the bloody clash between elite PNP-Special Action Force commandos and MILF and BIFF combatants in Mamasapano in Maguindanao. Over 60 people died in the clash, including 44 police officers and 18 MILF fighters.

In response to Catapang’s order, the BIFF even taunted government troops into stopping all talk and instead, start the war against the outlawed group. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts